Refer A Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Team Leader – Environmental Assurance
We are looking for a Team Leader – Environmental Assurance to lead a team of dedicated scientists at the Taranaki Regional Council.
Mō mātou | About us
We are an enthusiastic bunch of people at Taranaki Regional Council, helping the region continue to be an enviable place to live, play and do business.
Our mission is to work for a thriving Taranaki by promoting the sustainable use, development and protection of our natural and physical resources, and advocating for the region’s best interests.
Mō te tūnga | About the role
Leading a team of dedicated scientists at Taranaki Regional Council the Team Leader – Environmental Assurance will be instrumental in the coordination and delivery of monitoring and reporting for a range of catchment and industry compliance monitoring programmes.
Managing various activities across the team including:
- Supervising day to day delivery of catchment and industry compliance monitoring programmes
- Mentoring and developing scientists to ensure the timely delivery of technically robust and comprehensive compliance reporting
- Managing scientist workloads and identifying applicable training and development needs
- Seeking and driving proactive solutions to environmental problems
- Engaging with internal and external stakeholders to raise awareness of Council roles and activities
- Providing regulatory advice that aligns with best practice and is based on sound knowledge of policy and legislation
As team leader you are responsible for building capability, setting clear expectations, and providing mentoring and development opportunities. Of course there will also be guidance and support from other team leaders, Manager – Environmental Assurance and the Director – Environment Quality.
Mōu | About you
You will bring professionalism and versatility to the team, creating an environment where people are supported and feel proud about the work they do. We like to set people up for success so you’ll be a leading applicant if you also have:
• Proven experience in people management with the desire and enthusiasm to build a positive team culture
• Demonstrable experience in a range of complex compliance issues and environmental projects
• Resourcefulness and resilience with exceptional communication and cultural intelligence skills
• High level of professional and technical knowledge of regulatory compliance, consenting and environmental management
• An appreciation and understanding of Māori cultural and spiritual values
• Ability to think strategically and take an organisation-wide perspective
• A strong understanding of the Resource Management Act 1991, national policy statements, regulations and standards, and other relevant legislation
post-graduate qualification in a relevant discipline or relevant experience
What’s on offer?
Taranaki Regional Council is a fantastic place to work! We have a great Environment Quality team. We do offer job training opportunities as well as the programmes to assist further career development. We have an active social club, long service leave days, and many other perks. However, the best part is working alongside fantastic people who are truly dedicated to the Taranaki region.
Interested? Here’s how to apply
Apply using the link below, fill out your application form and add your CV and cover letter. Further details on the role can be found below on the Position Description link, or for any other questions please contact Karen Smylie, HR Manager on (06) 765 7127.
Applications close on Monday 7th February 2022 and must be made directly through this website. Please note we reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we have received sufficient applications. Please submit your applications as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
The Council is committed to the concept of equal employment opportunities.