Environmental Scientist - Marine Biology
Permanent Full Time
Do you want to work for the present and future benefit of a prosperous and vibrant region with a high quality natural environment? At Taranaki Regional Council, our mission is to responsibly and effectively promote the sustainable use, development and protection of Taranaki’s natural and physical resources while representing and advocating Taranaki’s regional interests.
The principal responsibility of the position is to provide marine ecological input across all of the Council’s resource management functions, including consent compliance and state of environment monitoring programmes, consent application processing, regional planning, research and enforcement.
The successful applicant will be able to fulfill most of the following requirements:
- a post graduate qualification in marine biology or similar discipline;
- experience in the design and implementation of marine based monitoring programmes;
- experience in New Zealand marine taxonomy;
- A working knowledge of the Resource Management Act (1991);
- strong project management skills and an ability to deliver programme outputs on time and on budget;
- strict attention to quality control, data management and accurate record keeping.
- a sound knowledge of statistical methods and experience with analytical software;
- excellent data interpretation and report writing skills;
- strong presentation skills; and
- an ability to build and maintain strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders and community partners.
This role offers an exciting opportunity for a highly skilled and motivated marine biologist to further their career in a highly varied work environment, where you will be working for the betterment of the Taranaki region and its stunning marine environment.
Taranaki Regional Council, based in Stratford, offers an attractive workplace in a friendly and supportive environment. More details, including the job description, are available on our website www.trc.govt.nz . For any further information, please call Karen Smylie, HR Manager on (06) 765 7127.
Applications close on Thursday 19 October 2017 and must be made directly through our website www.trc.govt.nz/council-jobs
The Council is committed to the concept of equal employment opportunities.
Closing Date: Thursday, 19 October 2017